Saturday, October 3, 2009

Apples, Ducks & Cupcakes

Ever since Chase was a baby I've imagined taking our kids to an apple farm in fall to pick apples. I had day dreams of drinking cider, eating apples right in the field and bring home bushels of apples for pies. Well today my dream came true...sort of.

We drove down to Tacoma to visit a cute little farm that grows a ton of different organic produce, including apples. Their website said they had picking from late September through the end of October and cider pressing on the weekends. PERFECT! We all dressed in our fall coats and rain boots and head to the farm. But when we arrived we found out that this year's apple crop didn't allow enough apples for picking. Disappointed at first, we decided to check out what else this place had to offer.

First we made our own gallon of cider with an old handmade press. The boys chose the apples and filled up the bucket. Kelly washed the apples and both of us manned the press crank. It was very cool. Once we had our gallon of juice we visited the ducks. The boys were allowed to feed the ducks, which they thought was the most fun ever. Then it was off to the produce market. We bought fresh raspberries, squash, pears, dried apples and corn...and only spent $10!!! We finished up our farm visit with a little mud puddle splashing and quick goodbye to the kittens we met.

Before heading home we headed into downtown Tacoma for lunch. Kelly and I stuffed ourselves with anything warm and fall-like. Oktoberfest beer, onion rings, chili & caesar salad. Then, as if we weren't stuffed already, we headed to Hello, Cupcake. Hello, Cupcake is a dream come true for a cupcake lover. I swear...I think they are the best cupcakes I have ever had in my entire life. I had red velvet w/ cream cheese frosting, Chase picked pumpkin with cream cheese caramel frosting and Callan picked vanilla with vanilla buttercream. Heaven. Pure heaven.

A busy and fall day. Here are the pictures!

1 comment:

Misti said...

wow! I love this idea of making your own cider. And the end of the day with a heavenly cupcake? PERFECT!
I love the pics of the boys, they are getting so big!!!